arkansas-adventures-logo

Beautiful Arkansas Churches

Besides its natural wonders, the state of Arkansas has some other things and destinations of interest. Tourists are often attracted to some of the beautiful historic or unusual churches all over the Natural State. Some of those buildings have withstood the test of time and weather to fascinate us today.

Here is a list of 12 memorable churches from different parts of the state:

  1. Cathedral of St. Andrews is located in downtown Little Rock and easily found on the corner of South Louisiana and West 7th Street. It was built in 1881 and still serves as the longest continuous religious service place in Little Rock.

    Cathedral of St. Andrews
  2. First Presbyterian Church of Dardanelle is located on the 2nd and Quay Streets in Dardanelle. This facility was built around 1914 and became a member of National Register of Historic Places in 1987.

    First Presbyterian Church of Dardanelle
  3. First Presbyterian Church of El Dorado is located on the East Main Street in El dorado, AR. The congregation of this area was active since 1846, but the church as it stands today, was built in 1926 during the 1920s boom of oil discovery and a fast city growth. The church is the Collegiate Gothic style and was included into the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.

    First Presbyterian Church of El Dorado
  4. Goddard United Methodist Church stands on Dodson Avenue in Fort Smith, AR. This church is built in 1930 from stone in Late Gothic style and remains very impressive. Prior to this construction, there was a wooden building since 1908 to serve the needs of local worshippers.

    Goddard United Methodist Church
  5. Echols Memorial Christian Church is now owned by Vietnamese Baptist Church. This historic building is located on Alabama Ave., Fort Smith, AR. The building is constructed from brick and stone, square shaped, with a tower on top. The ornate roof is completed with large stained-glass windows. The entrance is set in the imposing tower under an arch. The church was built from local materials and with money donated by lady Elizabeth Echols in 1911.

    Echols Memorial Christian Church
  6. First Presbyterian Church in Clarksville was built in 1922. This unique building is a good example of Classic Revival architecture. Since 1991 the building is in the National Register of Historic Places.

    First Presbyterian Church in Clarksville
  7. First Unites Methodist Church in Conway is located on the corner of Prince and Clifton streets of the town. It was built in 1913, and protected since 1992.

    First Unites Methodist Church in Conway
  8. Mildred B. Cooper Memorial Chapel can be found in Bella Vista, AR. This beautiful structure is a creation of E. Fay Jones and stands since 1988. While this church is not historic, it is captivatingly beautiful. The architecture reminds the works of famed Frank Lloyd Wright. Steel and glass was used to create the signature arches of this church.

    Mildred B. Cooper Memorial Chapel
  9. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in Altus is also known as St. Mary's Catholic Church. It was constructed in 1902 on the top of St. Mary's Mountain. The church is most famous for its paintings and murals. The outside of the church is built from massive brown boulder bricks, and the inside walls are decorated with gold leaf. The church is home to a 100 year old organ.

    Arkansas Churches
  10. Raymond Munger Memorial Chapel is a focal point on the campus of the University of Ozarks. It was constructed in 1933. It was built using a paid labor of the students. It is protected as a member of the National Register.

    Raymond Munger Memorial Chapel
  11. First United Methodist Church in Fordyce is located at East 4th and Spring Street in Fordyce, AR. The church is two-story high and was designed by John Parks Almand. This long church was built in 1925. There is a Sunday school and church offices in the left wing separated by the main entrance from the sanctuary on the right. The building is protected since 1983.

    First United Methodist Church in Fordyce
  12. Thorn Crown Chapel of Eureka Springs is designed by E. Fay Jones and built in 1980. This is another beautiful example of mainly glass church that connects its visitors to the natural space right outside. Worshippers feel like they are in the forest, but the building is enclosed and air-conditioned. It was built using local wood and glass materials. Thorn Crown Chapel of Eureka Springs